Directions for applying to college
For all college related things, Mrs. Kelly is your counselor!
1. Naviance: Log on to www.student.naviance.com/ablhs (use your OSIS# to register)
About me tab: All surveys and assessments complete/Resume/ Essay
College Home tab: college list, recommendation requests, scholarships
Link your Common App. to Naviance after signing the FERPA waiver
2. Recommendations- You need 2-3 from major subject areas. Requests are done on Naviance after you have spoken to the teacher and have added college to the “colleges I’m applying to” list.
3. Essay- Required for SUNY, privates and CUNY honors program! Topics are below.
YOU are responsible for sending scores to colleges! (My SAT, send scores, input college)
COVID 19 update- many colleges are now SAT optional! Check with your college and the specific program you are interested in to be sure (some accelerated or health science programs still require test scores)
5. Apply: Complete online applications and add the colleges to your Naviance list.
Submit applications and notify College Office by November 21st!
www.cuny.edu – (Macaulay: office deadline is November 1st) $65. Or fee waiver
1. Investigate Macaulay Honors (special app) for higher averages.
2. Investigate SEEK. If you have financial need and lower average.
3. Investigate supplemental application if you want a special program in the school (Sophie Davis, BA/MD or City College Engineering or Architecture)
Commonapp.org- (ED: office deadline October 11th) up to 5 fee waivers if eligible
1. For private schools, out of state and some SUNY..
2. Sign the FERPA waiver and link to Naviance !!!!
1. Investigate EOP program if you have financial need and lower average (automatically
waives the fee for 7 colleges) otherwise $50. Per school.
2.Complete the supplemental forms.
3.Print and bring the fee waiver form to the college office for signature then mail it.
If your school is not on one of these sites, log on to the school’s website.
6. Notify the College Office that you applied! Make sure Naviance is updated and transcripts are requested.
Bring in 1 envelope with 2 stamps if you need us to mail your documents.
Foreign transcripts must be brought to the College Office- if you have CR on transcript.
7. Fee Waivers- Bring your parent or guardian’s most recent 1040 tax return to room 223A. (2 SAT, 2 Subject test, 2 ACT, NCAA and most college application waivers)
9. Athletes: Sign on to the NCAA clearinghouse! www.eligibillitycenter.org
10. Reserve your seat at college by May 1st! (often requires payment of $100+)
11. Follow the directions given by your school. (create online accounts on their school website to keep track of admissions, enrollment, pending items, registration, dorming, financial aid etc.)
12. Bring all acceptance letters and financial aid packages to the college office! (For comparison, review and record keeping) Notify the College Office of your plan
Student’s Responsibility: College Office’s Responsibility:
Common Application Sample Essay Topics: (Topics change every March)
2020-2021 mon Application Essay Prompts- 650 World limit
1. Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
2. The lessons we take from obstacles we encounter can be fundamental to later success. Recount a time when you faced a challenge, setback, or failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience? [Revised]
3. Reflect on a time when you questioned or challenged a belief or idea. What prompted your thinking? What was the outcome? [Revised]
4. Describe a problem you’ve solved or a problem you’d like to solve. It can be an intellectual challenge, a research query, an ethical dilemma – anything that is of personal importance, no matter the scale. Explain its significance to you and what steps you took or could be taken to identify a solution. [No change]
5. Discuss an accomplishment, event, or realization that sparked a period of personal growth and a new understanding of yourself or others. [Revised]
6. Describe a topic, idea, or concept you find so engaging that it makes you lose all track of time. Why does it captivate you? What or who do you turn to when you want to learn more? [New]
7. Share an essay on any topic of your choice. It can be one you’ve already written, one that responds to a different prompt, or one of your own design. [New]
SCHOOL INFORMATION FOR COLLEGE APPLICATIONS: CEEB CODE: 330550
Counselor: Meredith Kelly
Counselor’s email: email@example.com Phone Number: 718-333-7504
School Address: 2800 Ocean Parkway
Brooklyn N.Y. 11235
PERSONAL INFO NEEDED:
Contact information including home address, phone number, email address
Social security number (if you have one),
Educational history and job description of your parents,
Permanent Residency (green card) number (if you have one),
Family income amount